Compact Flash and JFFS2

I posted on this list regarding ext3 and different arch machines making file systems on CF cards. A suggestion was made to use JFFS2 on the cards. Anyway, I got as far as grabbing a mkfs.jffs2 binary and attempting to format the card. I was not successful.

The error I got with dmesg |tail referred to a non-MTD device. Anyway, I got as far as modprobing jffs2, modprobing block2mtd, changing the partition type to 42 which showed a /dev/md0 after a reboot.

I later read on a FAQ somewhere that CF cards are unreliable if a power loss is encountered and it is not worthwhile to setup a CF card with JFFS2 or JFFS3.

Anyway, how would you set a block device to mtd device? Is it worth setting up or even possible to use a CF card and Journal Flash File System?

Thanks in advance for any leads/ solutions.
Jim

--
We use Linux for all our mission-critical applications. Having the source code
means that we are not held hostage by anyone's support department.