How to copy /?

As a learning experience and in preparation for upgrading to FC5, I just
copied my FC3 / partition to another partition. It appears to work.  I'd
like to know if I've done it right, in case it just "appears" to work.

I read up on cpio and practiced with find until I had what I wanted.

I made a new LVM partition of the same size as my old one (actually, I just
resized the FC5t3 partition and filesystem, and removed all the files with
rm -rf.

I booted from the FC5 Rescue CD, and, after a couple of false starts did
this (or something very like it):

    mkdir /mnt/new
    mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /mnt/new
    cd /mnt/sysimage
    find . -depth -noleaf -xdev -size -102400K -print0 | cpio -dumpa0 --sparse /mnt/new
    # here would have been a good time to: touch /mnt/new/.autorelabel
    umount /mnt/new
    exit

I edited /boot/grub/grub.conf to have a stanza for my new partition

I then had trouble during booting, which I decided was from selinux, and
horsed around for a while trying to get that fixed.  What was needed was to
boot from something (I used my original FC3) and touch the new
/.autorelabel, and then to boot with the kernel param enforcing=0.

The copy seems to work now.

Someone may say that I should have used dump and restore.  I don't know of
any clear advantage over using cpio?