Re: fc5: install everything?

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:30 -0800, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > Seriously though...there was a bunch of consternation about what
> > represented 'install everything', there was emphasis on reducing the
> > packages that are part of core and moving stuff out to extras which is
> > really where people are wanting to install everything...not from core.
> >
> The problem with that approach is a lack of integration.
>
> If the core fedora team wants to thin out it's responsibilities, that's
> fine, I suppose.  We'll just need to reinvent another team to
> reintegrate and repackage fedora core + the rest of the stuff we need
> for a complete OS.  I'm just sad to see the product degrade.
>
> Integration is the most important thing fedora offers, even more
> important than nice art, even more important than simple installs.
----
I can see your point to this extent...that when I read the above I
thought to check what the current fedora web pages say is the purpose
for Fedora and it seems to be lacking authoritative philosophy.

The closest thing I could find is:
http://fedora.redhat.com/About/

I believe that the vision expressed was to have a Fedora Core which
comprised a base distribution of that which was simply a core set of
packages and allowed for other repositories to provide other packages as
may be required. If they take packages from core and spin them out to
fedora extras, that actually makes sense if they are truly not needed
for core install.

Other repositories such as k12ltsp, kde-redhat, and atrpms are perhaps
more specialized whereas fedora extras, livna, freshrpms, dries are more
generalized. That actually makes a very impressive array of options.

If integration is as you say, more important than simple installs, then
everything seems to be headed just where you want it to be so I guess I
am confused what the point is that you are trying to make.

Craig