RE: ssh from work to home

>  Friends,
> I'm stuck behind a firewall at work that will not allow inbound ssh -- but it will allow outbound ssh.
> Work is a private 10... network. My home computer is connected to a cable modem with an assigned IP address
> I want to open an xterm on my home computer and access my WORK computer. Both boxes run FC4.
> The catch (for me anyway) is that I have to issue the command (create the ssh connection) from my work terminal ...
> I've googled this and I'm wondering if ssh -R is what I'm looking for ??
> If so ... is this right way to do what I want ??
> When I leave work ...
> w o rk> ssh -R home_ip:2222:work_ip:22
> When I get home ...
> home> xterm -e ssh home_ip:2222

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

 I wrote a program which you can run from a cron job at work which will
keep the port open without having to leave an ssh up.  It calls ssh and
also checks the round trip to make sure it is still good.

Doc File: http://styma.org/SunAtHome/RollYourOwnVPN.html
Doc File: http://styma.org/SunAtHome/sshKeepAlive.html
Program:  http://styma.org/SunAtHome/sample_files/sshr_cron.c.html

Bob Styma