Re: fc5: install everything?

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 14:16 -0800, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> What's the rationale here?

Discussed to death here over the last few weeks.  But in summary,
"everything" never really installed "everything", and if you actually
did "install" *everything* you'd have conflicts up to your earholes, not
to mention masses of updates to manage.

> I mean, one of the reasons I use a full distribution like fedora is
> that I don't want to run around with cd's all the time.  I want
> everything available on my development machine immediately and I'm
> perfectly fine with spending a measly 6-20gig to hold it.

Is it really that hard to figure out that if you don't want to take
discs with you that you should copy them to your hard drive?

Sure, there's various ways of doing this for installation convenience
sake (local YUM repos, etc), but it's pretty obvious that copying the
disc structure to the hard drive as an installation tree allows you
people to install from local files later on.

I read messages from the public lists.