BIOS or motherboard problems after FC5 upgrade

I have a system with an ECS 480M motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, and
SATA HD. After upgrading my FC4-x86_64 install to FC5 via DVD, on
boot, the initial udev startup failed (including the attempt to
background the service). I was forced to reboot, but the system no
longer goes through POST. That is, the initial video card check runs,
then the BIOS header shows (copyright, version, and main processor
listing), but no memory check is run and the normal setup / boot keys
(DEL or F12) don't function. I've swapped out memory, cleared CMOS,
unplugged all SATA and IDE devices, etc., but to no avail.

Now normally I'd chalk this up to a hardware failure, but the timing
and that udev error are highly suspicious to me. Anyone else seen
anything along these lines? Any suggestions of additional
troubleshooting or data gathering steps?

--
Kyle Maxwell
http://caffeinatedsecurity.com