New user problem in FC4

I've just created a new user for the purpose of running backup scripts.  A
home directory has been created, but I am unable to log in as that user.  I
get the 'your session lasted less than 10 seconds' error.  Sure enough, the
new user does not get a space allocated in /tmp, and without that I can't run
the setup scripts.

What could have gone wrong?

Anne