Re: BitTorrent not slow, but users are clueless

At 12:10 PM +0200 3/22/06, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:42 -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>> On 3/21/06, alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have been using BitTorrent quite a bit and I have seen pretty iffy
>> > performance downloading FC5.
>> >
>> > I am using the correct ports, my firewall handles it fine, and my ISP does
>> > not block.  Other downloads have not been a problem since the last router
>> > upgrade.
>> >
>> > Something else is going on here.
>>
>> When many download from few, performance will suffer.  Bittorrent is
>> "many from many" but only after material has "been in circulation" for
>> awhile.  I'm pretty convinced that folks complaining about BT
>> performance in the few hours after FC5 release are simply drawing
>> attention to their own ignorance.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>
>Let me put this way:
>I usually download ISOs from BT with rates exceeding 1.5Mbps. (I'm on a
>2Mbps/512Kbps line) My BT is upload is configured to cap at 256Kbps. (To
>leave me some link space for my VPN connection.) Last ISO I downloaded
>(FreeBSD) was downloaded at above 1Mbps sustained.
>I've got a manually configured iptable firewall and my ISP *does* not
>block BT ports.
>
>However, I'm downloading x86_64 ISO at ~300Kbps (~150Kbps upload) and
>the i386 ISO at ~40Kbps(!!!) (110Kbps upload).
>
>BT is indeed slow.... and in my case, there's no problem between my CRT
>and operator chair.

I'm fairly new to Bittorrent, but it has performed well for me so far.

Looking at <http://torrent.fedoraproject.org:6969> and considering that
most users have much slower upload than download, and observing the number
of senders, downloaders, and completed (and disconnected) downloads, it
appears that that too many people are disconnecting when they have gotten
their data.  Probably most of the people there have an upload speed that is
a small fraction of their download speed, and AIUI getting fast downloads
would need lots more senders than downloaders.

Is there a detailed page like the one for Knoppix, showing each client's
stats?  (I think Knoppix is using a different server arrangement.)