Re: BitTorrent not slow, but users are clueless

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:42 -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 3/21/06, alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I have been using BitTorrent quite a bit and I have seen pretty iffy
> > performance downloading FC5.
> >
> > I am using the correct ports, my firewall handles it fine, and my ISP does
> > not block.  Other downloads have not been a problem since the last router
> > upgrade.
> >
> > Something else is going on here.
>
> When many download from few, performance will suffer.  Bittorrent is
> "many from many" but only after material has "been in circulation" for
> awhile.  I'm pretty convinced that folks complaining about BT
> performance in the few hours after FC5 release are simply drawing
> attention to their own ignorance.
>
> --
> Chris

Let me put this way:
I usually download ISOs from BT with rates exceeding 1.5Mbps. (I'm on a
2Mbps/512Kbps line) My BT is upload is configured to cap at 256Kbps. (To
leave me some link space for my VPN connection.) Last ISO I downloaded
(FreeBSD) was downloaded at above 1Mbps sustained.
I've got a manually configured iptable firewall and my ISP *does* not
block BT ports.

However, I'm downloading x86_64 ISO at ~300Kbps (~150Kbps upload) and
the i386 ISO at ~40Kbps(!!!) (110Kbps upload).

BT is indeed slow.... and in my case, there's no problem between my CRT
and operator chair.

Gilboa