Re: ADSL Modems & Routers.

Malcolm Candlish wrote:
Sirs,
Having Fedora 4 and going for Metronet broadband I need a ADSL modem or router. Do they all work well, some work well, or are there significant differences. I realise that win- modems are difficult with dialup and therefore presumably similarly with broadband.

Any input will be gratefully received.

Malcolm Candlish.

Our ADSL providers provide the modem as part of the signup package, for free and to keep. D-Link 604T at this time.

I agree with the other posters. Look at your local computer store and figure out what modem offers the features you want. From experience, dont' use USB ports though.

A modem/router will allow you to hook up as many computers as you wish. Many ISP's want to know the MAC addresses of all the computers hooked to their network. Also an external will deal with all the protocol and signin headaches that can come from a support service that has now clue about anything other than Windows.

--
Robin Laing