Re: FC5 release question

Tom Spec wrote:
When FC5 releases (or any version for that matter), will that be the final version of the installation CDs, or do they ever get updated? Of course there will be loads of updates that can be applied with yum, but I was just wondering if once the CDs are released they are "frozen."

There probably won't be a Fedora Project updated installation media. Since there will be a problem with what kernel will be included with the release of FC5, it is recommended that you grab the updated kernel. The problem relates to loading non-GPL modules like nvidia, ati, vmware and the like. Instead of crying foul for the oversight, applying the updates post install would get you up an running with the non-GPL module compiles.

Another issue that was discussed is using Xen. A problem with SELinux and another problem with kudzu locking up was discussed. I have not tried Xen out yet but recently installed Xen to give it a go.

Those are the only issues that really stand out from long threads proposing holding off on the release by a few on the test list.

I noticed today that SAMBA needs "kick started" in order for it to work properly for me. The issue that I noticed today was that I needed to stop and restart SAMBA after stopping and restarting the network interfaces. I believe SAMBA is using cifs instead of the older smbd modules for the kernel.

Jim

--
Fresco's Discovery:
	If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored.