Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Once upon a time, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Or they are making changes just to be making changes.

I suggest you read the development list.  There are very sound reasons
for the changes made to the installation process.  For FC5, the goal was
to get to a state that was similar to FC4 and before; FC6 will see the
major positive results of these changes (and at that point "Install
everything" would most likely have been removed anyway as it really
wouldn't make sense).

> Consider that Sun claims that you can run
> any program written for 2.6 (released in 1996) under the current
> Solaris 10.  You don't have to break existing conventions,
> documented interfaces, and API's to make improvements.

Bad example; the install interfaces for Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 10 are
quite different.  IIRC, Solaris 8 and 9 have two different installers
you can choose from (which seems rather stupid and confusing).

I haven't installed Solaris 10 yet, but last time I installed Solaris 9,
I don't recall an "install everything" button.  Thinking about it, I
don't remember seeing an "install everything" option in just about any
OS I've installed except RHL, RHEL, and FC.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>