RE: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Craig White wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 10:12 -0600, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > At least the feature is realized now or ready for FC5. I
>use the right
>> > click a lot to find features hidden on other operating
>systems. I guess
>> > right clicking for Linux is becoming similar to find
>useful options.
>> >
>> > Yes, contacting the developer through bugzilla is more
>productive than
>> > overpopulating the list with point-counterpoint battles.
>> >
>> > I used battle on public lists over MS vs. Linux and
>battles were similar
>> > on outcome. I probably converted 2 over to my view while
>having another
>> > thousand holding onto what they were accustomed to.
>> >
>> > Unless we were to redesign the installer ourselves,
>battling on the list
>> >  would only add more clicks to the reading of other Fedora
>issues on
>> > the list. The installer would still not handle easier
>installation or a
>> > more complete installation of what is available from the
>install media.
>> >
>> > This feature should positively stand out in the "highly
>read" release
>> > notes. would flashing text be too much?
>> >
>> > Jim
>> I don't what you definition of productive is but this bugzilla was
>> not very productive in my view. Just to say that is the way it is
>> and install everything will never come back is not very responsive.
>>
>---
>the response also pointed out that you could right click on the group
>and 'select all' or 'select none' for the group. All right, so it takes
>8 clicks instead of 1 click to 'install everything' now...not a big
>deal.
>
>What you don't get from the bugzilla entry but can get from parsing the
>developers list is that they are trying to shed packages from Fedora
>Core and push them out to 'Extras' and make 'core' truly just the core
>and 'install everything' is less valuable as they succeed in
>doing that.
>What you don't get if you don't read the developers list is
>what is that
>they don't even agree on what is meant by 'install everything' - where
>some might interpret it to mean every package, others thought it
>shouldn't include every language pack under the sun for every package
>and as you consider the impact of this, you begin to get the
>point...'install everything' was never really clear about it's purpose
>at the outset.
>
>Craig

Clearly it IS a big deal.  8 clicks is 8 clicks and not 1 click!  You're
right - I am too darn lazy but 8 clicks adds to my already agravating
carpal tunnel wrist. But seriously, anything to make it easier for the
installer is what I am advocating.  Anything less than that is a very
unprofessional descision and it just makes for an unsavory installation
experience.

I added my comments to the BUGZILLA for suggestions that should be
reviewed.  I don't like buzilla but I am willing to get these installer
issues resolved for the benefit of fedora's community.

Dan