Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

gb spam wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The problem with hidden features (such as the previous expert option in
>> Anaconda)  is that they provide a alternative code path that is rarely
>> tested
>
> given the nature of the discussion on this list, on the test list
> (where the response to the first query about this was 'oh no, not this

Can't say about that...

> again') I suspect that what you're saying here might not be the case
> for this particular feature.

... but I can say my personal touchstone for the wrongness of Gnome is
the File Open dialogue box's hidden and undiscoverable Ctrl-L "feature"
to get an editbox to type a path into[1].  Hidden features are evil and
stupid, orphaned before they are born, whatever the right answer is it
is not bringing another such abomination into the world.

-Andy

[1] And you know it's even more stupid than that, because if you try to
avoid killing your system by having that box allocate a zillion pieces
of memory to show the thousands of files in /usr/bin by giving a full
path, eg, /usr/bin/bash, the damn thing STILL tries to show the UI again
instead of accepting your path and returning to its caller.  Like Rahul
said these compromises are unloved even by their creator.