Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

On Thursday 09 March 2006 15:35, Les Mikesell wrote:

Having been through all this already on another list I'v stayed out of
this thread. But here goes. ;-)

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:05, Tony Heaton wrote:
> > > There absolutely should be any easy way to check all of the boxes
> > > you could check manually. This isn't the same as the old everything
> > > install, but should be close enough.

There's no way to do that,  You just go through them 1 by 1. And it's not
the same as an everything install. I did it with FC5-T2 and found there
were over 800 packages from the iso's not installed even though I checked
everything manually.

> > You've just made the point for the other side.  Even if you have an
> > everything button it doesn't/can't install everything because come
> > things conflict with others.

Not with a new release, FC1-4 just installed everything when you asked it.
No conflicts that I can remember. Even when you did an NFS install from
an updated tree.

FC-5 has problems with GFS package conflicts and some others but that's a
distribution problem not a problem with an everything install.

> Something that was never a problem for all the previous versions
> that did have an 'everything' choice whose only problem was
> installing all of the languages even though you had already
> selected the one you wanted at an earlier install step...

That's exactly right. What would be very useful is an "Everything Install"
that installed everything but only the languages and locales you have
choosen.

But this battle has already been lost on another list ;-(

Tony

--

Tony Molloy.

Dept. of Comp. Sci.