Re: Probably silly Q

Roger Heflin wrote:
Ok, I've inserted that line in services thats needed for

that to work,

syslog          514/udp

And added the -r option to OPTIONS in the syslog file in /etc/sysconfig, SIGHUPed syslogd, and turned the routers

forwarding of
the access log to the main 192.168.x.x address of that

machine. But
nothing is appearing in either all.log or any other log

with a recent timestamp.

Did I miss something? Or is the linksys BEFSR41 routers logging to some other unk (udp/tcp) port besides 514?

----
Let's keep this on list OK?

Firewall on Linux system blocking port 514 protocol UDP?

Logging will go into /var/log/messages unless you redirect it via syslog.conf # man syslog.conf

Linksys sends snmptraps to the snmptrap port (161) (man snmptrapd) this is a standard service that will listen to this
port and do whatever is configured with the data (save it to syslog,
or to elsewhere, and/or even execute scripts to process the incomming
data), it can be checkconfig'ed on and will put the messages into whatever is configured by snmptrapd.

I have been using it for years on both Windows and Linux.  snmptraps
are os independent, where as syslog in typically unix only.

You can also set the ip address to send it to, to be .255 and it
will nicely broadcast on your local subnet.

                             Roger

I didn't know that it was snmp that was used. When I looked into it I was continuously told that I needed special software. I didn't know about ethereal or tcdump at that time.

Then any management software that reads snmptraps should get the data. Then the answer to the OP would be any snmp monitoring program, correct? What software do you use?

I don't know much about snmp past the basics.
--
Robin Laing