Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

On 3/7/06, Tony Heaton <theaton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 14:58 -0500, gb spam wrote:
>
> > Here's a list of things that yum/yumex don't help me when an "install
> > everything" does:
> >
> > "exploring" yum/yumex isn't the same as exploring gnome/kde menus,
> > seeing an executable, wondering what it does and clicking on it to
> > find out.
>
> many packages that I use everyday aren't gui

ditto.  but for those apps that are, my point is valid.

> Yum info describes all packages, not just gui ones.

and that is still not the same as seeing it in a menu and wondering
what it does.

> > yum/yumex won't tell me what package provides a particular menu entry
> > because the description doesn't match aything that "yum search" will
> > give me.
> >
> > using yum/yumex won't give me that "wow, it just works" feeling when i
> > try to do something that requires a currently uninstalled package.
> >
> > One of my co-workers, an SA, doesn't/won't do full installs.  That's
> > fine, I'm ok with that is his choice, he has perfectly valid reasons
> > for it.  But he gets irritated because of the frequencey with which he
> > as a problem and I give him a solution based on something he doesn't
> > have installed.  Either that, or he's written a script to crudely do
> > something that a package will provide elegantly.  Needless to say, the
> > reason I know about it is the same reason he doesn't - I have it
> > installed.  Of course, I rub it in when I tell him.
> >

> If you didn't rub it in, he may take the opportunity to learn from you.

if he didn't refuse to learn, I wouldn't rub it in...  actually, he
expects me to rub it in, and he knows that I respect his position,
because for him its not appropriate.  just like its not appropriate
for you and many others.  i can see that, i just wish that you could
see my position too.

> > yum/yumex won't make it easy for me to try an alternate application
> > when the one i uses breaks on a particular file.  my favourite word
> > processor may barf on a Microsoft word doc, but Open Office may not.
> > If Open Office wasn't installed, would I go to the effort of
> > installing it via yum?  Similarly with printing - different apps may
>
> Maybe you wouldn't take the time to install OOO, but you may just
> discover abiword and find out it will open the document as well.

yes, and discovering it is a whole lot easier if it is already
installed and i can right click on my doc and say "open with" or look
in a menu for office applications, or run man -k...

> > print the same docs differently, yum is not going to make it easy to
> > correct that (yes, installing is easier than before, but having to
> > trawl through, find the right package name, install it, find out that
> > although i have the base package installed i still need the GUI one
> > and a couple of other optional libraries not brought in by default
> > ensures that this is no long a quick, easy and painless solution).
> >
> > exploring yum/yumex doesn't allow me to right click on a document and
> > see what applications can open that document.
>
> What if the right click feature is not configured correctly.  You might
> just miss out on that WOW app you've been looking for.

and what if it is?  you are the one that has lost out not me.  if its
not configured correctly, we both lose.

> Perusing the menu entries is a quick way to find what the menu builders
> think are the apps you should use.  There is no substitute for going
> through the yum info descriptions, and search the net for
> non-distribution apps that you think you should use.

and if its already installed, i don't have to search with yum i can
search with rpm/man -k

can i search yum to find out which header file declares a particular
function/macro? no
can i search a file system to find which header file declares a
particular function/macro? yes - but only if its installed.

> > yum/yumex significantly reduces the value of "man -k"
> >
> > NB: most of the above has been shamelessly cribbed from another post
> > in another mailing list.  however none of the points were addressed,
> > so I feel it is valuable to repeat them here.
> >
> > There's probably a bunch of things too...

Are you telling me that my method is catagorically wrong?  I have two
systems running 5t3 one where I did a yum install \* and one where I
didn't.  Which do you think that I find the most frustrating?  Which
do you think that I use?  I've tried it your way, and it doesn't work
for me.