Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 12:37 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:58, Tony Heaton wrote:
> > It's incredibly easy to install packages with yum.  You can do single
> > package installs, you can do group installs.  I don't see what the
> > problem is in not having an everything button.  As has been pointed out
> > here many times, the everything button didn't ever install everything.
> > That could leave a new user thinking they had everything available when
> > they didn't.  Why would anyone want to bloat a system with both Gnome
> > and KDE?
>
> On my systems, different people might use each.
>
> > Is there really a need for having xdm, kdm and gdm all loaded
> > on a machine at the same time?
>
> If there isn't, why are they on the CD?

So people can choose the one they like.  The source code to all the
packages is on the CDs as well.  Do you install all of those?

> > How many window managers do you need?
>
> Perhaps as many as you have users that connect via X, vnc or
> freenx.

Yes, but how many?  Two or Three.  Why install all of them?
I have a few dozen systems with a couple of hundred users and only have
a couple of window managers installed and have had no requests to
install more.

> That can be pretty confusing in a multi-user setup. We are
> talking about a multi-user OS here aren't we?

In the broad sense yes.  If a user wants something installed that is not
on one of my systems, they make a request and unless there is some
security implication, it gets installed.  However, I thought you were
asking how to find out if you want you use a piece of software if
everything wasn't installed on your system.

--
Tony Heaton
CCN-9

- "If you do nothing, they'll win"