RE: FC5 - T3 - Had enough. Package Managers, Yumex is crap.

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 21:14 +1030, Tim wrote:
> In the past I'd found that whatever method was involved, trying to
> install/update a huge number of packages would stress things out too
> much.

Before upgrading from one release to another I usually do this:
      * Run "yum list extras" to find any packages that didn't come out
        of my chosen set of repos. These are likely to throw up
        dependencies that can't be resolved from my repos once on the
        new release. I remove them prior to upgrade and reinstall
        afterwards.
      * Run "yum update yum". Newer versions of yum are typically more
        capable and efficient than older ones and could save some
        time/grief.

Doing this, I've always succeeded (with minimal fuss) upgrading from
release to release using yum.

> There must be a lot of computations to determine all the
> dependencies, something that is a major bugbear in Linux that I've not
> had to deal with in other OSs - too many interdependencies.

I think this is because of any combination of the following reasons:
      * other OSes don't check dependencies
      * other OSes come with a tiny set of software compared to FC
      * on other OSes dependencies are checked by app installers at
        install time, later removal or changing of required stuff goes
        unnoticed until the app mysteriously crashes
      * on FC, package maintainers make mistakes in specifying
        dependencies, or go over-zealous with dependencies (specify
        something that's not actually required)

Me? I prefer to have dependencies checked and maintained whenever
something gets installed or updated. I find the time required to resolve
dependencies pales in comparison with the time required to download the
stuff.

Cheers
Steffen.