Re: impatient for FC5 release

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Anthony Messina wrote:
>
>>> I guess my expectation was that most of the "development" packages
>>> would become standard versions by the time FC-5 came out.
>>
>> yes, the packages will become official, if that's what you mean, but
>> your computer will have yum configured for all the devel repos, not
>> the standard repos which means whenever you do a yum update, you'll
>> be updating to the latest devel stuff.
>> i may be mistaken, it is possible for the upgrader to automatically
>> change all this stuff, but i'm not sure that it does.
>> any expert answers out there?
>>
> Releases are snapshots of the current development tree which is frozen
> for sometime to stabilize. This is a relatively short duration for
> test releases and longer for general releases.If you have enabled the
> development repository, you will have to disable it manually before
> Fedora Core 5 is released or you will move to into the development
> branch headed for the subsequent release which is Fedora Core 6.

So if I enable the release repo instead of devel repo on the release
date, can I get a system same as one installed from scratch? I'm very
curious of this question since I have been using fedora 5 devel since
test 1 and have configured it a bit. Really don't want to re-install
everything.

> If you are installing the test/development branch just to get to a
> head start, be aware that the development releases may have debugging
> options enabled and are intended for testers to provide feedback to
> developers through the fedora-test list discussions and bug reports in
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com. More serious testing would be very useful
> to get a better final release out of the door though.
>

> -- Rahul
Will the debug option get disabled approaching release date?

Thanks
--
Leon