RE: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 00:00 -0800, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 March 2006 18:37, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > > Just posting a link from the upcoming Fedora version 5 notes. (FC5T3 as
> > > of now)
> > > The changes might be good to know for a user to make a decision when FC5
> > > is released as to how to upgrade / install.
> > >
> > > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/test3-latest-en/#sn-Package
> > >Changes
> > >
> > > Major changes for people installing are xen, screensavers, menu
> > > reconfiguration, a GUI search tool, a few applications that use mono, no
> > > up2date program, a new package manager and GUI front end to yum.
> > >
> > > Everything installs are no longer possible. The major components are now
> > > in groups and part of the optional packages can be selected or not
> > > selected through check marks. Some packages that were selectable in the
> > > past may not be selectable from the menus though they are on the install
> > > media.
> > >

> > Since everything installs are no longer possible, and given the number of
> > packages on the installation media, at the very least one should be able to
> > choose all of the packages within a group instead of having to go into each
> > groups list and check all the packages individually.
> >
> > This is a VERY POOR way of package selection and WILL NOT make Fedora a choice
> > for newcommers to linux.  Other distros are making things easier in order to
> > attract converts from Winbloze and Mac's.  Making installation harder is a
> > definate disservice to loyal Fedora users.
> >

> Making the installation like Winblows is not necessarily making it
> better IMHO.  Just because Apple or Microsoft chose that way does not
> make it _right_.  Getting on the bandwagon for a bad product or
> following a wanna-be does not make you better
>
> I see the removal of the 'everything" install as a major plus. Several
> gig of unasked for foreign language packages were a real bear to clean
> out the one time I actually opted for "everything".
>
> I would agree on the wish for an option to select a group and expect all
> within it to be installed.  As examples, mysql and postresql would be
> nice for that. With FC4 less than half the individual packages for those
> groups were installed by default and it was time consuming to do the
> full groups.  However, IIRC the installer has never allowed selecting an
> entire group with a single check mark.  Groups can be installed in
> entirety from the command line with yum.
>
> Jeff

Well, I think what we need is 'Select All', 'Deselect All', combination
selects (Like a shift-start-end (list), or a control-select/deselect type
of functionality so that it makes it MUCH easier to choose from a list.
This is what some professional OS vendors supplied and it is VERY useful.
The current method used by package managers is very lame, unthoughtful,
and poor use of installer's production time, need I go on?  Proviving
little "bells and whistles" in this case is well worth it IMHO esp. when
your boss is breathing down your neck and expects you to install and
configure a development system in 60 seconds flat. :-)

Just my opinion,
Dan