Re: FC5 - T3

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 12:02 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Hmmm....
>
> I noticed that for some reason or another, that the network
> Interface cards (NIC) are searched by finding NIC's on the PCI
> bus before finding NICs on the motherboard?
>
> This screwed up things for me of which by default, I use my
> motherboard on-board NIC's first as the PCI based NICs are
> assigned for other uses.  Is there a way to force which eth0,
> eth1 boards are being assigned to by my own preferences?
> The Administration->Network gui configurator does not allow
> me any options to change the eth0, eth1 assignments or
> to declare which of the eth0 or eth1 assignments to use as
> default or am I mistaken?

Options in /etc/modprobe.conf will do some of it (very easily if you
have NICs with different drivers) by using an alias line.

Also, IIRC there has been discussion to the effect that you can use the
hardware MAC address to specify which device it is, but I have not used
that so I am not sure of the technique.