Re: Ideal Server Hardware Choice

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 07:18 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Vote with your $.    Only buy from those who will build it as you
> specified, and have a written build spec so they cannot just make a
> change without your written approval.

Well, I do.  It was the last time I bought from them, and the last time
I had anyone else build a system for me.

It was also a new experience for me.  Never before had I had a supplier
for any product play such underhanded tricks on me.  In my other line of
trade, video production, I was known as a perfectionist for the
equipment I bought.  My preferred supplier frequently used me as a gauge
over what products would be up to speed for any of his other clients.
They knew if I was happy, as their fussiest client, it was pretty
unlikely that anybody else would have a problem.

In that line of work "try before you buy" was standard fare.  You would
have demo models to play with before you paid for it.  Of course this is
hard to do in the PC world, where so many products are crap that they'd
never survive the customer vetting process.  It's always a case of *you*
spending yet more money (faster CPU, fancier motherboard, more RAM) to
get around any let downs with the system you had someone make up for
you.

> Their excuses are just that - excuses!  Unless the customer (you)
> holds them to the specs agreed upon they can easily modify things.

Yes, I gave them grief about this.  I even asked them if I could have a
job with them, I couldn't possibly do any worse than their existing
staff.  Yes, I did actually say that to them, and in writing.

Computer dealers, the new used car salesmen...

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.