Re: Small update Re: Translation, please : XP > FC a/o CXO

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006, I Beartooth wrote:

>> I have been trying to get certain suites of proprietary software usable
>> under CrossoverOffice (CXO) under FC4 on four machines....

> I asked the same things on grc.techtalk.linux, from news.grc.com. Two
> suggestion there are these, both from John DeCarlo :
>
>> 2.b.1  There is a program out there, which may well be in the Fedora
>> repositories, called "gpsd".  This is a daemon to talk to the GPS
>> device. I would play with this first, to make sure that Linux can talk
>> to the GPS device appropriately.
>
> The only gpsd I could get from "yum whatprovides gpsd" was a bunch of
> debugger stuff relating to KDE development -- and I don't even run KDE.

As to gpsd, both Charles Curley and Tony Dietrich have now replied
in gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general, with pointers to
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpsd/ http://gpsd.berlios.de/ and
http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html

My heartfelt thanks to both! As I had suspected, there's a whale of a lot
more out there than I had managed to find. I'll certainly study it -- and
not mind in the least if somebody more advanced beats me to a practical
solution while I'm at it. <grin>

John went on :

>> 3.  CXO must support some way of converting a Linux /dev/tty... to a
>> Windows COM1. You probably need to do some research on configuring
>> this properly, once you know exactly what /dev/tty... your GPS is using
>> on the machine.  My guess would be that after CXO is properly
>> configured, your mapping software will be able to talk to the GPS device.

Charles replied :

> It should. Check on the winehq web pages for details. It's a matter of
> creating a symlink in a particular directory under .cxoffice from com1
> to /dev/whatever.

> I had this working with wine (neat, no CXO) and DeLorme Street Atlas 8
> a couple of years ago, so it should be possible with the latest CXO.

He goes on to say that it's application-specific, as I had failed to
perceive; but I can now see that it also requires a lot deeper knowledge
of linux than I perceive ... Btw, I do like the way both senses of 'neat'
fit in that remark!

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC4; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1