Re: Some wireless questions.

Dan wrote:

>>I think NetworkManager (NM), which is part of the Fedora distribution,
>>is meant to do more or less what you ask.
>>
>>Unfortunately I have been unable to get it to work with my Orinoco Gold
>>card but you may well be more fortunate.
>>

> If you can get your card to work with network, NetworkManager will work
> fine, as it uses the same settings as a base.

Sadly, that is not true -
or was not, when I tried NM quite extensively a couple of months ago.
It is possible it is working now,
as there is very active development of NM
(I subscribe to the NM mailing list)
and patches seem to be added literally daily.

My suspicion is that NM tried to change the mode
of my Orinoco Gold card in some way that disabled the card
until I re-booted.

But what exactly do you mean by "the same settings as a base"?

I might say that I asked the following question on the NM mailing list
last week, but haven't had any response.
If anyone here can answer my query I should be very grateful.
------------------------------------
Is anyone successfully running NetworkManager
with an Orinoco Gold or Silver Classic PCMCIA card,
particularly such a card in a PCI or USB adaptor?

I tried a while ago, and lost all WiFi connection.
However, it is more than likely the fault was on my side,
and I'd like to try again if someone has it working.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366