Re: [OT] Re: Free Oracle database now on general release

On 3/2/06, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 20:17:18 -0600,
>   "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > You mean like the Livna Project?  Fedora doesn't include any
> > proprietray software in the main distribution, but you're going to
> > look silly saying that the community (and especially Red Hat, Inc.)
> > doesn't approve of the use of proprietary software on their operating
> > systems.
>
> The stuff I get from Livna isn't propietary. The stuff is patented which
> causes problems for distribution in the US.

pro·pri·e·tar·y   Audio pronunciation of "proprietary" ( P )
Pronunciation Key  (pr-pr-tr)
adj.

   1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of a proprietor or to proprietors
as a group: had proprietary rights; behaved with a proprietary air in
his friend's house.
   2. Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.
   3. Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark
or patent: a proprietary drug.

Definintion number 3 is the relavent one.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."