Re: [OT] Re: Free Oracle database now on general release

On 3/2/06, Peter Gordon <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 09:04 -0500, taharka wrote:
> [...]
> > Oracle has now made its low-end, free-of-charge Oracle Database 10g
> > Express Edition generally available to the public.
> >
> > Also known as the XE database, the beta version of the software was
> > originally launched as a beta product last October.
> [...]
>
> Not to seem rude or condescending, but how, exactly, does this relate to
> a GNU/Linux distribution which strictly advocates *against* such
> proprietary software? ;-)

You mean like the Livna Project?  Fedora doesn't include any
proprietray software in the main distribution, but you're going to
look silly saying that the community (and especially Red Hat, Inc.)
doesn't approve of the use of proprietary software on their operating
systems.

That being said, Oracle is a bloated pig.  I'd not use it just on
those grounds (I have to support a number of Oracle systems at work as
it is).  Feh.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."