Re: Reliable file system?

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 16:05, John Summerfied wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > the sync command to do that.  Possibly in a cron job.
>
> Once a minute isn't very often. I can transfer 3.2 Mbytes/sec over the
> air, 50 and better on the disk on cheap hardware.

The question is, how many places can your disk head be in
that second?  If you cache, then periodically write the
cache, you can accumulate a bunch of operations to do
as the head moves over an area instead of threshing it back
and forth for each bit of data that lands in a different
area.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx