Re: Reliable file system?

Marcelo Magno T Sales wrote:
Hi, folks

I have an FC4 box in a location where there are electrical instabilities (i.e., frequent power failures). Often I get corrupted files after these failures. Due to burocratic problems, I'm unable to get a reliable nobreak for this machine. Is there a more reliable file system (even if it's slower) to use in this situation?

Thanks,

Marcelo

UPS is the first option. If you cannot get a UPS then I would be looking for a different job. Note, random shutdowns like this are not only damaging files but could also be damaging your hardware. I learned the hard way when 9gig drives were over $3000 each. Ouch. The UPS can shut the machine down cleanly. I got a good 1500 KVA one for under $300 that will shutdown my FC4 machine.

Take the time to write a letter (Not an email) to management that without a UPS, any data on this computer and even the hardware could fail at the next power outage and may not be recoverable thus requiring a total replacement at $xxxx dollars. I think you will get your UPS at least.

This is as bad as putting a major hub (before switches) in a janitors closet. Guess how happy they were when it got soaked and no warranty. They had been warned but refused to listen.

--
Robin Laing