Small update Re: Translation, please : XP > FC a/o CXO

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:25:51 -0500, I Beartooth wrote:

> I have been trying to get certain suites of proprietary software usable
> under CrossoverOffice (CXO) under FC4 on four machines. All are topo map
> stuff, interfacing with a GPS.[...]

> One sine qua non is still lacking. Neither one is able to interface with
> a GPS. (Until they do, I have to keep a dedicated machine running XP
> <snarl>.)
[...]
> At this point I'm pretty well out of ideas. I hope somebody here may
> know enough about both XP and FC4 (or about CXO under FC4, or something)
> to get a handle on opening up either the serial port the software
> expects (It checks at least com1 and com2.) or some channel to a USB
> port.
>
> I do know, btw, that the same software, running under XP on one machine,
> against the same serial port, the same GPSs, and the same cables, *does*
> connect and interchange data successfully. It also did, years ago, under
> W98. So I don't *think* the hardware is the problem.

I asked the same things on grc.techtalk.linux, from news.grc.com. Two
suggestion there are these, both from John DeCarlo :

> 2.b.1  There is a program out there, which may well be in the Fedora
> repositories, called "gpsd".  This is a daemon to talk to the GPS
> device. I would play with this first, to make sure that Linux can talk
> to the GPS device appropriately.

The only gpsd I could get from "yum whatprovides gpsd" was a bunch of
debugger stuff relating to KDE development -- and I don't even run KDE.

I've asked if he means something in gpsdrive -- but, alas!, I've looked at
that, and it's well beyond my competence even to install (and is geared to
other uses than mine, anyway).

> 3.  CXO must support some way of converting a Linux /dev/tty... to a
> Windows COM1.  You probably need to do some research on configuring
> this properly, once you know exactly what /dev/tty... your GPS is using
> on the machine.  My guess would be that after CXO is properly
> configured, your mapping software will be able to talk to the GPS device.

MY knowledge is not up to telling whether this last -- which sounds to me
like a translation into terms more apt at least than XP's -- is really a
question for CXO, or something for Fedora to do before CXO even launches.
So I'll post this both places, with my apologies, and hope to strike a
spark of interest in at least one of them.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC4; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3-7; CXO 5.0.1