Re: Yum better than RPM?

2006/3/2, alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Albert A. Modderkolk wrote:
>
> >> If you tell yum to "yum update  ImageMagick" and it has only one
> >> architecture of ImageMagick-c++ available, it will give you that warning
> >> without telling you which architecture it is failing for.  This is due to
> >> the weird quirk that on that platform you can have both 32 bit and 64 bit
> >> packages installed at the same time.  (I have an AMD64 laptop.  I see that
> >> problem every once in a while.  Especially if the i386 packages get
> >> deprecated or never get added to the x86_64 repository.)
> >>

> > Yes, I should have taken a 32-bit system.  64 bits don't bring much in
> > performance at this time and lots of problems...  I sometimes dream of
> > Firefox showing me a jigsaw piece and telling me to download the latest
> > and greatest plug-in... which isn't there for 64-bit systems!
>
> I have considered making an alternate build of Fedora that has 32 bit
> versions of the browser components instead of the usual 64 bit versions.
> There is no technical reason why it would not work. It would solve the
> plug-in issues and it would be "fast enough".

while its a workaround for some people it will slow down the real
fixes in that area.

who cares about a few proprietary browser plugins whose vendors suck
enough to not provide the 64 bit version of their proprietary stuff?
;) also there are open source alternastives on the way for most of
those ugly plugins ;)

gcjwebplugin -> java browser support e.g.
theres a new open source flash plugin in the makes aswell (but flash
needs mp3 legacy (since there are better unencumbered formats) stuff)

regards,
rudolf kastl

p.s. i use x86_64 too with no problems at all (since i reported the
problems i had to bugzilla a while ago)