RE: Advice on setting up Raid and LVM

Hi Fajar,

I would say it is basically a matter of your personal taste.

However, if you wish to extend your LVs later without too much
hassle
I would prefer initially setting up one large RAID 1 which should
serve
as one PV.
I would only separate the /boot partition to an isolated RAID 1
meta device.
Though it is possible to put /boot onto an LV I would strongly
disuade you from doing so.
The issue here is disaster recovery because you need a specially
tuned kernel and
initial ramdisk that can cope with loading the kernel from a
/boot LV,
which the recovery mode of your distro's install CD usually
doesn't provide.
Btw, for the same reason I found the ubiquitious Knoppix live CDs
practically useless
for my Linux boxes.

So in /etc/fstab I would set

/dev/mdo	/boot	 ...

as mountpoint.

Then, assuming you built a big enough /dev/md1 to host /, /usr,
/var, /tmp, /home
I would create a root VG from one big PV

e.g.

# pvcreate /dev/md1
# vgcreate -s 16 -p 8 -l 64 vgroot /dev/md1

And then create your LVs al gusto

e.g.

# lvcreate -L 512m -n lv_root vgroot     # if you're afraid you
could increase / to 1G but usually 512m should suffice
# lvcreate -L 3072m -n lv_usr vgroot     # depending on the
amount of binaries you install, cave kernel sources
# lvcreate -L 2048m -n lv_var vgroot     # for a web or mail
server producing large spools and logs set high
# lvcreate -L 512m -n lv_tmp vgroot
# lvcreate -L 1024m -n lv_opt vgroot     # some non-OS binaries
like Fedora's Directory Server install here
# lvcreate -L 2048m -n lv_home vgroot     # depending on how many
users you host

Then create filesystems al gusto

# vgdisplay -v vgroot|awk '/LV Name/{print$NF}'|xargs -n1
mkfs.ext3

If you run out of PEs and you need to increase any LV you can at
any time
add other RAID1 devs

e.g. you have spare md2 md3 md4

vgextend vgroot /dev/md[2-4]

and then

lvextend -L +4092m /dev/vgroot/lv_home

ext2online /dev/vgroot/lv_home

HTH
Ralph

Priyanto
> Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:47 PM
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> Subject: Advice on setting up Raid and LVM
>

> Hi all,
> I'm setting up Raid 1 and LVM on 2x80GB SATA drives.
>
> The partition scheme is like this:
> /boot = 300MB
> / = 9.2GB
> /home = 70GB
> swap = 500MB
>

> The RAID is RAID 1.
> md0 = 300MB = /boot
> md1 = 9.2GB = LVM
> md2 = 70GB = LVM
> md3 = 500MB = LVM
>
> Now, the confusing part is:
> 1. When creating VolGroup00, should I include all PV (md1,
> md2, md3)? Then
> create the LV.
> 2. When setting up RAID 1, should I make those separated
partitions