Re: Disk Problems

Charles Curley wrote:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:21:01AM -0600, Wojciech Komornicki wrote:

I rebooted my FC4 installation only to find that it hung after loading
all the packages.  I went into rescue mode and running fsck on
     /dev/sys
I am told that I have a bad boot sector or that the file system is not
an ext2 file system.  Since I can mount the disk under /mnt/sysimage am
I running fsck on the wrong file system?

I suspect you are.

Run "fdisk -l" for a complete list of hard drives that have partitions

Even better, see what's in /etc/fstab: would fdisk show this?
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

or RAID devices?

Well it does show them like this:
/dev/hda2              14        2498    19960762+  8e  Linux LVM
but I don't think fsck is quite the way to go.

on them. The first column gives the device files for the partitions,
e.g. /dev/hda2. Run fsck on those partition device files that have
file systems, e.g. Linux, vfat, as indicated in the last column.

fsck will (correctly) refuse to run on mounted partitions. Run a
recent live CD to fsck /, /home, and other partitions you must have in
order to run.

Also take a look at badblocks.

--

Cheers