Re: Wget, Yum and network investigation

I regret that I originally forgot to change subject (digest title).

> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:47:37 +0100
> From: "antonio montagnani" < antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Wget, Yum and network investigation
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" < fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> 2006/2/23, Tod Merley <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > > Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:27:20 +0100
> > > From: "antonio montagnani" < antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Subject: Re: Wget, Yum and network investigation
> > > To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" < fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > >

> > Hi Antonio!
> >
> > From the thread I do not know which of the routers you updated from the
> RH8,
> > but I would guess that it is the one you are having problems on.  That
> is
> > just a guess.  It may be that something related to the IPv6 stack
> handling
> > was not handled in the process.
>
> Yes...it is the updated router: but it worked for a long time with FC5
> and I didn't have any problem at all with yum, wget....I can't
> understand what changed
>

> > I would be most interested in the contents of /etc/resolv.conf on all
> > machines.  It would be nice to know who is being looked at for name
> > resolution.
> >

> I will post the troubled router tomorrow morning as now I am at home.
> Anyway this is the resolv.conf of this machine, i.e. the router with
> no problems....
>

> nameserver 62.211.69.150
> nameserver 212.48.4.15
>
> and modprobe.conf
>
> alias eth0 ne2k-pci
> alias eth1 sk98lin
> alias eth2 hisax
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>

> > When I troubleshot an IPv6 name resolution problem at home here I used
> > "tcpdump -w captureFileName &" along with Ethereal to analyze the
> tcpdump
> > capture files.  When I did it some of the packets were truncated so it
> would
> > be best to use -s 0 (capture packets of arbitrary length) or -s
> 1515(capture
> > packets as large as the max Ethernet frame) in the tcpdump command.
> >
> > In my case, turning off IPv6 (accomplished, I believe, by adding "alias
> > net-pf-10 off" to /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting) did resolve the
> problem
> > on a single FC4 machine.  Since I had an Ubuntu machine on the same
> network
> > and could see no way to effectively turn off IPv6 on that machine I
> simply
> > routed nameservice arround the DSL modem which appeared to have problems
> [...]

Hi again Antonio!

I just have a bit of a thought here.  You may have simply a problem with the
URL names requested by yum.  Is it possible that somehow the repositories
have been re-named (their URLs) and that was not completed in the update
process.  If I try to nslookup or whois the long repo URLs you sent in your
first message they fail.  Are the addresses differant (the requested URL's
yum is attempting to access) on the two machines?  If I point firefox at the
addresses it finds them - perhaps the "redirection" switch in a yum config
file is set differently.  Just bits of thoughts.

I must say I am curious what kind of Internet access you have over there?
How do you get Internet to the machines?

Ethereal gets down to the nitty gritty and would probably be a good one to
do here.  Of course it takes time.

Good Hunting!

Tod

Just above was written last night - but under the digest title - I do that sometimes at night.  My regrets.

Tod