Re: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of these messages showing up in dmesg output.
>
> What is a lot?  At this point, 314 during my 3 days of uptime.

Erm -- looks like you missed out a message here!

> Description of system:
> - HP Pavilion a1350n desktop computer
> - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> - ATI chipset
> - nVidia 7800GTX PCIe video card (and 450w Antec power supply to
>   support it)
> - Fedora Core 4 for x86_64 with updates as of last week
> - kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 for x86_64

Any other PCI cards? Especially from this system?

> Anecdote:
>
> I used to get APIC errors, years ago, on my Abit BP-6 motherboard running
> dual Celeron 300A CPUs.  I just put it down to the fact that:
>
> - Celerons were not specifieded to be dual processors (but lots of folks
>   did run them this way)
>
> - Celerons were on speced to run 50% overclocked (but this was
>   considered to be Standard Operating Procedure by most folks)
>
> - the BP6 signal runs were not designed as Intel specified for a dual
>   processor

I ran a BP6 system until last year (although I didn't overclock: I had
433 MHz processors) and never saw APIC errors.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... a sign carefully conveying in pictograms the fact
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that you should not leave wheelchairs on a certain