Re: Cannot use fourth IDE HDD with FC3 ?

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 22:59 +0700, Amrit Angsusingh wrote:
> I do shut down the server and found that the cable was set to master
> and cable select on both primary and secondary IDE as your comment, so
> I change it to master and slave on both IDE but there is still some
> error

Huh?  A cable isn't set to something, a cable is a cable.  A drive can
be set to master/slave/single/cable-select, but only one of them (it
can't be master *and* cable-select).  And what you've described is too
vague to really know what you've done.

Two drives on the same cable have to be jumpered appropriately (one as
master, the other as slave, or both as cable-select).

Two drives on different cables should both be their own masters, though
some models of drive need to be set as a "single" drive, rather than
master (i.e. they have no slave), when they'r the only drive on that
cable.

Single drives (those not sharing their cable), whether or not there's
other drives on the system, are treated as single drives.  Sometimes
they need setting as a single drive, sometimes they're fine set as a
master (which can be by the jumpers, or being connected to the master
plug on a cable-select system).

More than two drives requires the ones sharing a cable to be
appropriately set up as master or slave in one way or another, and the
other drives as appropriate (master and slave if sharing, but if you
only have one other drive it should be set up as a single or master
drive).

Debugging:  Try connecting each drive by itself, and check that you're
drives are working properly.  Also check both cables individually.
Check that your jumpers aren't broken (there should be metal contacts
inside the plastic plug).  Check the power leads to each drive are
working.  These days you should have a power supply big enough to handle
multiple drives, but it's still possible that you don't.

I read messages from the public lists.