Re: file names lower-cased on cp from CD

Okay, I've dug around a bit and (re-)discovered Joliet extensions.

For the record,

2006-02-21 (火) の 18:04 +0900 に Joel Rees さんは書きました:
> Not sure if this is OT or not, but I'll ask anyway.
>
> The CD was apparently burned on a MSWxxx box with a shift-jis file
> system. (At any rate, there are shift-jis file names in the mix.)
>
> That the shift-jis file names get mojibake-d is one thing, but latin
> file names throughout the CD come out all lower-case, which of course
> mucks up javac.

If that isn't clear, the result is that

    jp/domain/package/ThisCamelCaseClass.java

on the CD (as mounted by MSWxp and, from what my co-worker here tells
me, Solaris) shows up and is copied as

    jp/domain/package/thiscamelcaseclass.java

when the CD is mounted on Fedora Core 4.

> Anybody with any ideas as to why, and as to how to get around this kind
> of behavior?

I was looking for a way to grep into shift-jis files, and found lv and
other information that pointed to the Joliet extensions. So I looked at
mount and see the map options in the manual.

Apparently the map options to mount are by default forcing the CD to
map everything lower-case. In addition to the problems I have with Java
source file names, I'm guessing this has screwed up the shift-jis file
names copying in from CD.

(shift-jis is another of the reasons I consider microsop^Hft a company
of tech thieves who have never been able to really fix the messes
caused by the bad tech they have acquired to "get the job done now" by
hardware insufficient to the task. But I digress.)

So I guess I need to figure out where the default map options (for
automount?) are set. Or, perhaps, to remember to

    umount
    mount -o map=off

or something. (I'll have to see if that works next time we get the CD
out of the safe.)