Re: Fake eth0

Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
Hi everybody.

Hi Nguyen,

Sorry for my poor English but I have a trouble with ethernet interface. I have a new LAN-card on my machine but MAC-addresss of old card is registered so I have to fake MAC address of the new to be able to use LAN. I do it with command:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up

and MAC is faked, but after that card seem to not work. no packages are send and received. When I restart computer Lan-card work again but with his own MAC so is not registered.

Please help me out of the  problem.

ip link set eth0 down
ip link set eth0 addr 00:11:22:33:44:55
ip link set eth0 up

Now the previous MAC has probably been cached by other machines so you
will have to wait until it times out.  Once that happens any traffic to
the IP on eth0 will cause an arp request,

  "arp who-has nguyens.machine.ip tell our.machine.ip"

Your network card will now identify itself to the network,

  "arp reply nguyens.machine.ip is-at 00:11:22:33:44:55"

After that the other network cards will be able to find you.

Thank you.

You're welcome,
Mike Wright :m)

--