Re: When is the Last Time You Booted to Windows?

On Thu February 16 2006 8:29 pm, you wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2006 19:46, Claude Jones wrote:
> >On Thursday 16 February 2006 7:39 pm, Dave Jones wrote:
> >>  It recently came to
> >> light that a lot of the problems people have experienced have been
> >> directly related to crap firmware on some enclosures (All of them
> >> seem to have exactly the same manufacturer, and aparently they don't
> >> work particularly reliably under stress in Windows either).
> >
> >Of this, I have direct knowledge, and I couldn't agree more.
>
> FWIW, I have a belkin FW card, a 3 porter, that replaced a pcilynx from
> TI that didn't work, ever.  Once the 1394 patches were put into the
> tree about 9 months ago, it has worked flawlessly, or at least well
> enough I can import from a Sony tvr-460 handicam in real time with zero
> hiccups.
>
> That card signs on as(from lspci):
> 01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23
> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
>
> So its yet another TI based card, but here, its working very good.  But
> its not the latest 800mhz version either.

I'm not too surprised by your Belkin experience. I no longer order any Belkin
products for a variety of reasons. But, I was speaking to the last two
sentences of Dave's comment - I've spent the better part of the last few
months evaluating various after market external USB and Firewire enclosures
on Windows machines - talk about driver hell!!! Firewire drives that won't
hotplug, drives that get 'lost' and take many reboots to get 'found' again,
'write failure' messages in the middle of big backups, and on, and on....
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA