Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 21:43 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> > from its local disc. I just clicked on the "OpenOffice.org
> > Writer Word processor" icon on the task bar at the bottom
> > of my screen, and it was 58 seconds before it was ready
> > to take a keystroke, on my 2.71 GHz Linux machine. On my
> > 400MHz Win98 machine, Word loads in less than 5 secs.

LOL.   And windows98 with the corresponding Word is much smaller than
the current Word or OOo.

Also, I am interested in how you forced OO to take that long to load.
Mine takes <10 seconds to load OOo 2.X from click to typing.
AMD 3000+ with 1gb memory and tons of services running concurrently
including mysql, postgresql, httpd, providing print services, and
others.

My other box, AMD 2400+ with 512mb ram and similarly configured services
takes about the same amount of time (actually only 9 seconds). (This one
was tested from a new login and that was the first thing started to make
sure that caching did not have an affect on the first time measured)