Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:05, Mike McCarty wrote:

> As far as starting a new window or app, Linux is noticeably
> slower than WinXP on my machine. A new console window starts
> in less than a second using WinXP. Right clicking on my
> GNOME desktop took 3 seconds to get a menu for a "terminal",
> and the terminal window took 10 seconds (I just measured it)
> until first prompt.
>
> Linux is by far the very slowest OS I have ever run
> on comparable hardware. The speed I experience is
> comparable to running MSDOS off of floppy.
>
> I have not tweaked this machine for performance one way
> or other either for WinXP or for Linux, just the way it
> comes.

Ummm, so you are comparing one OS that has essentially
no services installed with one that comes with several
thousand apps, many of which start up automatically
by default.  I don't think that's a valid comparison.
Try loading an equivalent set of applications on the
windows box if you can afford it, or at least load the
same amount of stuff on the disk before doing updates.
My experience with Windows is that it seems fast when
initially loaded, but after you add applications and
updates it slows down a lot.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx