Re: identical disk dump

On Tuesday 14 Feb 2006 19:14, Mike McCarty wrote:

> >>If you are going from one box to another, then dd type tools are
> >>not the right tool for the job. You may want to take a look at
> >>Ghost 4 Linux ( http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/ ) This also
> >>has the advantage that the drives are not mounted during the
> >>copy, so you do not have to worry about something changing while
> >>the drive is being copied. You do NOT want to do a bit-for-bit
> >>copy of a mounted drive!
> >
> > You can use dd even across machines if you can boot a
> > run-from-CD distro that has ssh like knoppix.  Set a root
> > password and start the ssh server on the remote box
> > and use a command like:
> > dd if=/dev/hda |ssh remote_ip dd of=/dev/hda
> > However, to use dd the disks must be the same size. If this
>
> Actually, they need to be identical drives. Just being
> the same size is not enough.
>
> [snip]

As someone who works for the legal profession a lot, I should butt in and say
that IF there is a need to prove that the source/destination disks are
identical, then the proceedure you follow needs to be documented at every
stage, with appropriate safeguards and proofs.

A second person present during the process is essential, they should document
the process individually without sight of your notes,, and the original disk
should never be used in any situation where any data may be written to it
i.e. it must never be mounted.

Photographic evidence of how you accomplished this task often goes a long way
to convincing the unititiated, althout those who know what they are talking
about won't be so easily fooled, and you must have the answers to how you
protected the integrity of the original disk easily at hand.

If you google for 'forensic analysis computers', there are some interesting
hits, once you get past the adverts.  The US DoJ issue clear evidential rules
http://www.computerforensics.com/fed-guide.htm#sect-viii
which if followed would ensure that civil/employment/etc/etc cases would be
fairly cut and dried.

Tony