Re: Automatic update

Craig White wrote:
On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 19:40 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 05:21 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Anthony Messina wrote:

-pmr

yum has a service for nightly update in fc4 (and maybe others). why don't you edit the associated scripts to only download the packages, not install them? that would be the identical behavior that ms allows, or you could choose to have them automatically applied by just enabling the current service. as another writer mentioned, you kernel is never updated per se. the new one is just installed and /etc/grub.conf is changed to boot into the new one, but your old kernel stays safe and sound.

Making the new one bootable is certain to create a system that will not boot, shutdown or fail in some other way without manual intervention. It happened several times during the life of FC3 to my certain knowledge, I believe it happened to many with FC4 and it almost certainly will happen during the life of FC5.

Installing new kernels is fine. Automatically making them bootable is not, and that's not taking into account those who wish to boot something altogether different, such as Windows, FreeBSD or Another Distro.

New kernels will mostly work for most; many had problems with FC3 kernels and USB. New hardware (mobos, SCSI, yoy name it) is likely to give grief. People who must build their own wireless or infernal modem drivers are adversely affected. I rebuild to include NTFS so I need the source, not the binaries while others download the NTFS binaries.

NTFS is a kernel module.  Even if you compile it yourself, the only
thing needed for the kernel are the kernel and kernel-devel packages.
Kernel source is not needed for that (unless you compile it into the
kernel).

----
completely ignoring the fact that there are much easier ways to do
this...

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs

Doesn't work on my machine.

# yum install kernel-module-ntfs-$(uname -r)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 Legacy utilities
Server: Fedora Core 2 Legacy updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Cannot find a package matching kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.771_FC2
No actions to take

Though it probably does for FC4, which is the OP's question.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.