Re: Samba problems

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:34 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 February 2006 22:44, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > ----
> > ignore these messages...well perhaps the issue of homes you should fix
> > as your [homes] share isn't working right but the others are standard
> > fare.
> >
> > to see a complaint about your [homes] share, try...
> > # testparm -s
> >
> > A quick explanation of the 'Error was Transport endpoint'/error writing
> > 5 bytes to... messages
> >
> > Traditionally, SMB connections were on port 139. Win2K and WinXP will
> > connect simultaneously to ports 139 & 445 and rudely drop 445 when they
> > get what they want from port 139. The logged error is samba simply
> > logging the notice of the fact that the port connection simply dropped
> > communications, nothing more.
> >
> > So if you really don't want these messages in your logs, you can add to
> > the [general] section of smb.conf
> >
> > smb ports = 139
> >
> > default 'smb ports = 445 139'
> >
> This is helpful, thanks.  I know there is one windows box on the lan that is
> mis-configured, so it's likely that that is causing them, then.
>
> My problem stems from the fact that I have had samba and network cups printing
> working beautifully for years in Mandriva, and am puzzled sometimes about the
> differences that I find in Fedora, which is why it seems relevant to ask on
> the Fedora list.  The question of the 'homes' share, for instance:  the
> definition is identical to the one that was working on my old installation.
> Similarly, the cups server is refusing connections.
>
> I'll continue digging, but these two services are vital to me.
----
I've already told you how to find the problem that it logs about your
home share.

Cups by default does not share printers - you have to tell it to do
that. All you really need to do to share a printer is to use
system-config-printer and indicate which printer you want to share. It
seems that you want to complicate things.

Craig