Re: natively working wireless adapter/card

bruce wrote:
Hi...

Can anyone tell me of a natively working wireless adapter card for a Dell
Notebook running Linux RHEL4.

I'd simply like to find a card/adapter, buy it, insert it into the slot, and
have it run. I don't really want to have to go find source, and rebuild the
kernel, etc...

If you have another solution that you've managed to actually use to get a
wireless card up/running, I'd like to know.

Two days ago I would have said my little NetGear MA701 CF card with the
CF-to-PCMCIA adaptor was just fine. I bought it for my Zaurus PDA, but
when I got a Dell laptop, I just slid it in, ran system-config-network
and clicked Wireless. I did have to give my home network name and WEP,
but after that it just worked.

However, after the shenanigans I just posted about, it looks like
something, somewhere has downgraded both cardmgr's and sys-conf-net's
ability to recognise cards, which is suboptimal to say the least.

Your best bet is to find your local Linux User Group and ask there for
someone using a card in your model of notebook.

///Peter