Disable network init on boot?

I think maybe I knew how to do this once, but I never can remember the details of kernel arguments, and the docs/howtos are not of much assistance.

Anyhow, I've installed a new driver for my (wireless) network, and it's not working very well - the system will lock up completely in the hardware init stage. As it happens, I think I know how to make things work, but before I can do that, I need to be able to start up the system in single user mode at least. So how exactly do I do that? How do I prevent the kernel from loading a certain module that modprobe.conf tells it to load? Can I disable a "device type" in the hardware init phase? And shouldn't there be as simple way to start up the system with the minimal config to allow access to the harddisk? Or is there one?

And so on...

- T