OT: Document Management

I am about Googled-out looking for a good GPL document management solution that runs under Linux. I have come to the conclusion that I am either searching for the wrong things or such a beast does not exist. I am hoping that you all can give guidance.

Here is what I am trying to do: I would like a simple, web based means to store, retrieve, update and search documents. The back end needs to run under Linux.  The immediate goal is to be able to organize system documentation. I want to be able to upload office type documents and possibly images. It would be really cool if it did versioning but that is a bell. I am not looking for an authoring system such as a wiki.

The best I have found so far is a XOOPS plug-in. It is kind of a gorilla and banana problem, though. All I really want is the banana but the gorilla comes with it. I also looked at eDMS but it has a lot of dependencies and I was not able to get it to work reliably. Though not a show-stopper, the interface for both products are a bit counter-intuitive as well.

Has anybody had any positive experiences solving this problem?