Re: FC4 - SERIOUS problem with GRUB. How can I solve this?

Hoffmann wrote:
Hi All:

In order to try to solve my previous problem (see the
posting below), I decided to delete my Fedora
partition by using the program Partition Magic. My
goal was after deleting the linux partition, reformat
it, and reinstall Fedora. However, after the deleting
process (and rebooting it to Windows), all I got was a
GRUB propmt:

The reason for the grub error is because when you changed the partitions, grub was on the partition that you changed. Grub loads in stages, s you probable only have the early stages which are in the Master boot Record. Another note is that Linux is capable to make its own partitions and external programs are not needed. You might need to reinstall Linux with the install discs and let Linux correct the grub factorS (early stages of grub) and correct the partitions. There is a choice in the installer to remove linux partitions and then you could let the installer install them instead of depending on your partition magician.

I take it that you have no install discs for Windows. If you did, you could choose repair console and run fixmbr and fixboot to put things in a state for windows to boot again.

I am guessing that your filesystem errors were due to the use of an external program to create your partitions instead of the Linux installation discs.

Jim

--
Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
	-- ksh@xxxxxxxxxxx put this on Tshirts in '93