Re: formating external USB hard drive

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 15:03 +0100, François Patte wrote:

I have a USB hard drive and 3 questions:

1- I suppose that this hd is dos-formatted by default. Is it because this that I had a problem of file size limitation? I couldn't create a file more than 4.2Gb.

I don't know the filesize limit for DOS, but I thought it was less than

WinXP Home stopped at 2 Gb for fat32.

that.  If you need to store large files, it's well worth your while to
find out what the size limits are for the filing systems available to
you (and use the one best suited).

Unmount it (e.g. umount command, note that for some really stupid reason
someone decided to make the command umount not unmount--typical lazy
unix typists...), configure partitions if you need to (e.g. fdisk, or
other utilities), then format it (e.g. mkfs)

Unmount the partitions, maybe
umount /media/usbdisk*
Repartition it with, for example, fdisk
Check that some bloody stupid automount thing didn't mount the new partitions. Shouldn't be possible, but who knows?
Create filesystems to suit.

I have several USB & firewire drives; the same basic procedure applies to Linux and Mac OS X and, one presumes, to others.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait