Re: Problem with local network

Tim wrote:

> Tim:
>
>>> Do you have this same hosts file on each PC?
>

> Chris Jones:
>
>> Yes. I do, although the other PC's being windoze, they do not
>> have FQDN's.
>

> You can give them FQDNs. The hosts file is the same format for
> both machines: <IP> <FQDN> <alias(es)>
>
> e.g. 192.168.1.10 test.localdomain test tests testing tester
>
> You can also put the domain name into the search gadget in the
> Windows IP configuration. When you have a local DNS server with
> local machine address information, that allows them to expand
> hostnames into FQDNs, just the same as the "search" or "domain"
> keyword does in the Linux /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
>> In answer to your previous response, the 'localhost' in
>> /etc/hosts is correctly spelled.
>

> Hmmmmmm. I'll see if I can think of anything else.
>
> I run my own DNS server, and rarely make use of the hosts file.
> Since one of your comments related to RNDC not finding localhost, I
> think that may be because of a localhost DNS record issue rather
> than a hosts file issue. A few things will pay no attention to the
> hosts file for name resolution (e.g. Squid and dig, at least). You
> might need to ensure your DNS server has records for localhost, and
> localhost.localdomain, and is running.

Tim

Apologies for not responding sooner, but I have been working away from
home all week and although I have been able to connect to my windoze
pc, the FC4 box was unable to talk to anything at all (grrhh!). In
desparation, I re-booted it and it now connects to the outside world
again.

I have dns records for both localhost and localhost.localdomain, but
still can only ping either names external to my network, ip addresses
anywhere and localhost.localdomain. I am totally unable to ping names
within my LAN. Something tells me this is (as you thought last week),
DNS, but my knowledge of that can be counted on the fingers of a
one-fingered hand :(

- --
Beauty and harmony are as necessary to you as the very breath of life.
Never explain.  Your friends do not need it and your enemies will never
believe you anyway.
        -- Elbert Hubbard